Instructions For Authors of Video Articles
Instructions for Authors for
Original Video Articles:
Congratulations on submitting an original video article to Fertility & Sterility. For over a century medical research came in one form: the standard printed journal article. However now, Fertility and Sterility is taking the lead to expand that model with video, new media, and electronic interactivity. Just as entertainment has moved beyond text and audio to multimedia so too now can medical research.
Fertility and Sterility is the first journal to accept original video submissions, which are peer reviewed, citable, and indexed as publications in pubmed. This major initiative acknowledges that the future is multimedia and there is crucial information to learn and be taught beyond the written word. We anticipate that these seminal videos will become frequently cited core references in the new millennia of research and education.
For research such as yours the Original Video Article format provides several unique opportunities. In addition to being peer reviewed, indexed and citable the video allows you to demonstrate both the data and the technique visually. The video reference will appear in the table of contents of the print journal and the video will be available online through the Fertility and Sterility Website and freely through YouTube. The abstract in pubmed will include a link to the video online.
An example of such a video is:
Information about the new format and how it can change medical publishing is here
Original Video Articles should provide a significant contribution to the medical literature. They should include original data or provide a review of a subject. The visual demonstration of the topic is a key component and the video should demonstrate information beyond what would be in text alone. Video should NOT be a series of text only slides.
- Length : Videos should have a maximum length of 8 minutes
- Videos should have an audio narration track. Silent videos will not be likely to be accepted.
- Music should be used with careful consideration. Often music playing over the background of videos is distracting however when used creatively music can enhance some videos. If music is used you MUST have permission from the copyright holder or documentation that the music is royalty free. Music will be digitally matched to a database of copyright music and cannot be used if you do not have permission.
- The start of the video should include the title of the video and the authors name and institution
- Commercial-type messages should not be used
- Video formats: we prefer windows media files but other acceptable formats are AVI, MOV, or MP4
- Aspect ratio: Videos will be shown in HD. We prefer videos to be in 16:9 format because we use 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes or letter boxes provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:
- • 1080p: 1920×1080
• 720p: 1280×720
- Resolution: Please submit your video files in HD 1080P. We accept 720 P but prefer higher resolution. We do not accept video files with standard definition.
- Suggested bitrates for uploads:
Format 1080P —- video bitrate 8,000 kbps –Mono Audio bitrate 128 kbps —stereo audio bitrate 384 kbps
Format 720 P —– video bitrate 5,000 kbps –Mono Audio bitrate 128 kbps —stereo audio bitrate 384 kbps